Friday, October 17, 2008

when it rains, it pours

I think it was just last week I was commenting on how things have just been moving along smoothly here. We are all adjusting to our schedule and no one has really been sick, so I have missed almost no work yet this year. Why do I do that?

Wednesday I was starting to not feel so well, but I have had a low level cold for a couple of weeks. No big deal. Sudafed and ibuprofen have gotten me through. Emily also came down with a cold over the weekend, but again not really anything too serious, mostly a runny nose. Well, by Wednesday afternoon she was wheezing a bit, so I thought I'd stay home with her on Thursday to give her a break. By Wednesday night I was feeling worse and worse--chills, body aches, really sore throat. Brian got home from work around 8 p.m. and called in sick for Thursday as well, because he had a bad cold and he saw the state of affairs around here.

I went to my doctor first thing yesterday morning and found out that I have strep throat. Emily went to the pediatrician and she has bronchitis. Well, I was really hoping to go back to work today because of some things that were happening that I wanted to be there for. I kept telling myself that I would have had 4 doses of antibiotic and another night's sleep, I'd probably be feeling lots better this morning. Brian talked me into getting a sub for this afternoon so I could teach in the morning and then come home and rest and I thought that was a good comprimise. So, I logged on to the website and requested a PM sub and it was filled within minutes so I was feeling like this was all working out fine. Until we put Mary to bed.

She had complained once earlier in the evening that her eye hurt when she closed them. I think I told her she probably had an eyelash or something. As we were laying in bed reading Brian goes, "her eye is all gooey." My heart sunk. Then I looked. Sure enough, red, swollen eye and yellow drainage coming out. Pink eye. So I went back to the computer, canceled my half-day sub, put in a new request for a full day sub and check the NBC website to see when the Office would be on. Since it wasn't until 9:00 I packed up and headed to school to work on plans for today.

This morning I am not feeling much better yet, so I am resting. Mary is watching Dora and Emily went to Annie's, at least for the morning.

No comments: