Thursday, October 14, 2010

lots of lessons

Our family decided to go low-carb last month to support our loving daddy who is trying very hard to shed some pounds. Little did we know how good it would be for all of us. I, who loves any goods baked, swore that I could never go more than one meal without bread or grains or chocolate chip cookies. What we've been finding out is that once you stop eating bread and sugar, your body doesn't really crave it all that much. I thought we ate pretty healthy--lots of veggies, whole wheat bread, etc., but since we cut out sugar I think I became aware of how often we were "treating" ourselves to dessert or snacks. I find it really interesting how my body feels when it's hungry now. There is no gnawing sense that I.must.eat.now.

I think the most amazing transition has been in the kids. Elijah and Mary have both lost between 5-10 lbs. and their eating habits have been transformed. For one thing, they eat a lot less food. Next, they don't beg for snacks all the time. And there is no more over-eating. They are doing a much better job of monitoring what they're putting into their bodies and they look great!! When we went swimming last week, Mary's swimsuit that she wore all summer was hanging on her--it was way too big!

I really thought low-carb meant all-bacon-all-the-time (and how can that be healthy?), but this plan is a lot of veggies, lean protein, and some fruit. We've been actually enjoying it. The biggest surprise so far has been the creamy cauliflower leek soup that was dee-lish. Cauliflower is now one of our favorite side dishes. Mmm...steamed cauliflower...I can hear you salivating! :)

4 comments:

LauraSuz said...

What a great family supporting that man of the house! Sounds like it's working great!

Annie said...

Wow, Michelle! Impressive!

Sara said...

Good for you guys! I only wish I had that kind of will power. I LOVE CARBS! What a great way to get this kids involved though!

Melissa said...

YEA for vegetables!! Great job everyone!