Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The deal

Here's the deal with the bat. Our very first night at this vacation house, I was coming downstairs after putting the kids to bed. Everyone else was sitting outside. There is a light fixture over the kitchen table and I thought there was a moth circling in it (you know how the shadow sometimes looks bigger than the actual insect...) So as I come down the stairs I think, "oh no, that isn't a moth--it's a bird." So I kind of scurry outside and tell the group that there is a bird trapped in the house. Some of the men go inside and I hear them shouting, "It's a bat!" They spend the next five minutes chasing it around the house to catch and release it, and finally after several failed attempts, they knock it to the floor dead.

Later that night we went outside to look at the dead bat, but it wasn't there. So we assumed it was just stunned and flew away. The next morning I look on the floor of the house and there is the dead bat still attached to the butterfly net. It apparently was stuck and it wasn't outside on the ground after all. At that point we decided we should take pictures (Sam, Brian's animal loving cousin is the one holding it up) and stick it under the windshield wiper of my brother-in-law Everette who was still asleep at 10:00 that morning. After that, I don't know what ever became of the dead bat. It was never to be seen again.

1 comment:

Megan said...

The bat, after flopping on the windshield all the way to the Walgreens, super disgusting--I had to close my eyes the whole way;was dislodged, after a strong persuasive arguement. Dislodged, but not removed, it proceeded to lay on the windshield until it met it's demise (again) when we took a sharp turn into the gas station. After that I couldn't say. I would like to say a big thank you to all of you who thought putting the bat on the PASSENGER side window was a great idea, because it then became something for Everette to Torture and harrass me with!