Monday, August 04, 2008

As we finish summer and both Brian and I start preparing for this school year to start, we often sit on our porch after the kids are in bed and play the game where we say our favorite things about this summer. This past weekend might make the cut later, but now it is still too fresh in our minds!

We went camping overnight with our friends, Dallas and Bethany, and Dallas's extended family--well, his family was there for the week, but we were just coming down for one night. So, Friday night was Laura's opening night at the gallery walk so we spent the evening there enjoying friends and looking at art. I made the comment that it felt strange that we would be camping the next day since we hadn't packed or prepared anything yet. (SHOULD HAVE BEEN A CLUE!!!) Saturday morning we got up and packed some clothes (oh yeah, I almost forgot, our washing machine quit Thursday night, so Brian took just enough clothes to his grandma's on Friday and washed them while he cut her grass) and a few water toys, sleeping bags and some baby food.
Here are the most important things we did not pack: blankets for adults, extra pjs for baby, enough formula for more than one bottle, my swim suit, appropriate container for shampoo, flashlight.

We went to Elijah's t-ball game Saturday morning and then we were off for our camping trip. So, we were staying in someone else's tent because they went home on Saturday, and all the food was already there, so I was not really in my element of packing.

Okay, on with the story. Emily didn't nap at all on the way down there. As soon as we got to the campground there was a group going out on the boat and we didn't want to miss our chance, so Brian volunteered to stay with the baby and I took the kids on the boat (this is when I realize I forgot to pack my swimsuit). While we were gone, he fed her the only bottle of formula that I brought and she still wouldn't take a rest. By the time we were back it was dinner time and I nursed her and fed her some more solid food. She fell asleep for maybe 45 minutes. Upon waking there was lots of screaming. By this time the other kids are getting pretty fried as well, but hey, we're on vacation right? And with someone else's family no less. So, it's starting to get dark --which means it is past the kids bedtime, and everyone is going over to the big jam session. I am out of ideas to get Emily to calm down. I feed her some more. She is still crying. I pick her up and she proceeds to vomit all the food I stuffed her with all over herself and me. I didn't bring any spare jammies, so I just wipe her and me down as best I can and we head over to the jam where my family is. Around 10 I bring all of the kids back to the tent and get kids ready for bed. Mary of course, won't go to sleep and keeps us all awake for the next 30 minutes, but finally it seems that everyone will go to sleep. Except me. I am freezing. We only brought sheets because at home the nighttime temp has been between 68-72 degrees. I was preparing for us to be hot. I find a small (think receiving blanket sized) quilt in the van and put on my sweatshirt. Now I can sleep. Oh, I also still have my clothes on because as I go into our luggage, everything seems to be wet and slimy. That's because the shampoo opened and leaked all over our clothes.

Emily wakes once during the night and I successfully nurse her back to sleep without waking any other kids, but then probably around 4:00 Mary wakes up and needs to go potty. We find our shoes and trudge through the dark (with no flashlight) to the bathrooms. I realize as I tuck her back in to her sleeping bag that she has peed in it and all over the borrowed air mattress, but we have no other sleeping bags or blankets, and she isn't complaining so I zip her back into it. Maybe 10 minutes later Emily is crying again and I lift her up and notice that her diaper has leaked and she(and her bed) is soaked with pee. And no clean jammies to change into. It is at this moment that Brian and I make the executive decision that 5 am or not, it is time to drive home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle...this has to be the funniest camping story I've ever heard. I hope in a few weeks you will think it's funny too! This needs to go into a book or something! Glad you all made it back safely. -Charis

darcilyna said...

your last sentence is what brought me to tears laughing! i'm so proud of you for taking the effort to take your kids along camping... it gives me hope and encouragement that we, someday, could do the same... i'm SERIOUS! love ya! -darci

Megan said...

It's true. While I am sorry for your miserable experience. It is also hilarious... It didn't sound as funny when you were telling me on Saturday though.
I personally laughed at the part where you zipped Mary back into her wet sleeping bag since she wasn't complaining.
Remember the days when we washed the pacifier when it touched the ground?!

Karla said...

I laughed out loud when I read this! I am sure it wasn't fun going through this, but it does make for a great story!! :) I hope our camping trip goes well... :) I have been making a list of what to bring for a week, so I don't think we are forgetting anything. Note to self: Don't go camping last minute with young children. :) Ha ha ha!

melissa said...

I love it! You just successfully passed a mom test. We took the boys camping a few weeks ago and didn't have enough blankets, and I used my jeans as a pillow. It's not nearly as good as your story, though!