Friday, August 08, 2008

It's officially over

Summer is done. Well, maybe not according to the calendar. But certainly at our house. Brian starts work on Monday and I will be at work all next week, with my first official day on Friday. It has sure been a full and wonderful summer. I can't tell you how amazing it is to be home together with our kids all summer long. I'll have to remind myself of this amazing time around February when I am ready to be done being a kindergarten teacher again.

We're down to only needing a few back to school supplies. Tonight we got Elijah's new shoes, socks, and underwear. Yesterday we got a thermos and lunch box supplies. There are only two more things he needs and we haven't found them yet. I hope I don't have to go to Wal Mart to get them. It has been almost 2 years since I've shopped there. If you haven't already heard my rant about Wal Mart and you want to, just let me know. I won't subject everyone to it again.

This week we got a new washer and a new lawn mower. (Why does everything quit at the same time???) so we are back to having a mowed lawn and clean clothes. That was a huge weight off. Last week we spent more time that I wanted to driving around doing laundry. I just have one last big project before I go back to work... (drumroll, please) a fall garden!!!! Have you done this before? I am going to plant tomorrow. At least carrots, onions, and cabbage. So, I am excited about that. I am going to the Farmer's Market tomorrow for a big stock up. I am going to freeze lots of whatever I can for winter. I have been reading this great book since vacation and I am really trying to buy a lot more locally when possible. Why not support local farmers and freeze their green beans? I am certainly going to buy frozen green beans before next summer, they might as well be from a nearby farm.

1 comment:

Annie Hatke Schap said...

Wow, am I just completely stupid? The idea of buying the veggies and freezing them for the winter (or at all) has never even crossed my mind. What a great idea!

I hate WalMart too!! Although I have shopped there a few times within the last two years. GOOD FOR YOU for having not!!!!!!!!