Friday, January 23, 2009

good for him, hard for me

Tonight Elijah started his first basketball practice at the McAlister Center, a lafayette parks and rec. place. So far, all the team sports we've done have been through the YMCA and have been disorganized to say the least. This was definitely not that. It was not only organized, the coaches were so kind AND kept the kids moving by, shocker, doing drills with them. They learned three ways to pass, how to dribble, shoot, and even played a quick scrimage. Granted, they missed their first practice last week because of the cold and their first game is tomorrow morning so it was a little like cramming it all in, but nonetheless. It was a great practice. The coaches were there before the team, they knew where the equipment was, they knew what drills they were going to practice, and they were competitive, but in the way that was uplifting to the kids. Sounds good, right? So why was I getting all teary eyed? Seeing my 6 year old with all his missing front teeth out there with the 6, 7 and 8 year olds made my heart hurt. This is definitely not preschool league. I'm also curious to see if this was just a good day for him or if he is maturing. Other times when he's played team sports he goes in thinking he knows it all and expects to be the best. When he isn't, there is a pretty high level of frustration (for him and for me). Tonight as we were leaving practice he says to me, "Mom, I was pretty disappointed. I didn't make any shots." I got to say to him, gulping back the lump, "Elijah, I wasn't disappointed at all. You practiced hard, you tried a new sport that you've never done before, and you have a great attitude about it all."

3 comments:

Annie said...

It sounds like this is going to be good. How's the schedule for tomorrow working out?

Michelle said...

Well, other than Emily having to miss her morning nap, I think we will be able to go to gymnastics at 10 and b-ball at 11:30. All should be fine (except me who will need a margarita when I get home.)

mamato3 said...

Way to go mom! Can't wait to hear how the game goes.