Monday, August 03, 2009

what i should be doing. er...?

Well folks the time has arrived once again. The time of year when I play tug of war with all the demands on my time. I can clean closets and get rid of clutter (whatever happened to our firm resolve about not allowing our kids to have tons of worthless toys?) or I can go to work and get my classroom ready for the next school year that starts in less than 2 weeks. I always hold out to the last possible moment I have to go in during the summer so I can enjoy the last weeks of summer. But today school called and basically said, "where are you?" I am not officially expected to be there until August 14th, but I was unofficially expected today. Instead my to-do list included canning green beans, LAUNDRY, and purging useless crap that we don't play with because we can't find it because we have too much stuff for our house. I love seeing uncluttered homes. Maybe I am in denial about the amount of stuff that goes with having three kids. It probably will just make me crazy trying to contain the stuff, but by golly I am going to give it the old college try. I see homes that are decorated and I think, what kind of decor do we have? Well, guitars, for certain. Rock and stick collections, several pairs of shoes, dirty dishes, lots of unopened mail...

We are getting rid of our enormous and outdated entertainment center because our tv has a demon and randomly goes on and off, like every five minutes. It's impossible to watch anything. So we really don't. We use our computer and watch hulu after the kids go to bed (our new favorite is Kitchen Nightmares), but the exciting news about getting rid of the very large piece of press board is that we are trying to make room for a piano. Not that we have one, but would like to acquire one. Maybe for my birthday? We'd be happy with a cheap/free one that needed to be tuned if anyone knows of something like that.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Yay for getting a piano. We have one coming our way is we EVER get a home to put it in! :o)

And I totally hear you on the toy situation. In fact I was just composing an entire post about it in my head the other day after straightening Charles' closet yet again. I will definitely be doing some toy purging as I pack!

mamato3 said...

Love the new header pic!!!! Decluttering is always a chore. Every month I begin with the goal of decluttering one room by the end of the month. All that happens is that same room acquires everything from all the other rooms. We all have piles of unopened mail or better yet the mail that needs shredded:-) Toys....don't even get me started. I can count on both hands the ones we've actually bought. The others just seem to multiply overnight.
I like the piano idea. I've been thinking about the same for the girls. I never learned to play, but have this "Norman Rockwell" idea that the girls will learn and entertain us for hours as they compose something spectacular:-)