Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"Chairs are for sitting"



I can just hear my old Child Development professors telling us how to phrase discipline in the positive--for what you want the child to do, not what you don't want them to do. Well, at our house chairs have become anything but a place to set your backside. We have this very cute little wooden table and chairs that I think we picked up at a garage sale. Emily has recently discovered that the chairs make a mighty nice stool to reach a whole world of items that never existed before. Like the bathroom sink. Now she can tote her little chair into the bathroom, reach the light switch, turn on the faucet and fill up her play tea pot and carry it back to her room for cooking. She can reach up to the kitchen counter, like I just found her a few minutes ago--attempting to cut her own oranges with the knife I left on the counter. YIPES. A few minutes ago she was inquiring about the wherabouts of her chair and I asked her what she needed it for. She doesn't know to be sneaky yet. She said, "I eat cookies." It's lucky for her she is the third child.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Emily is too much. Too. Much.

Karla said...

How funny! I learned a lot about being a parent too from those Child Development classes. I swear it has made me a better mom! But, sometimes those "skills" go right out the door when I am exhausted at the end of the day! :)

Bob"O" said...

What can I say we let Laura do things Brian never got a chance