Friday, January 22, 2010

I think I've got houses on the brain. Maybe it's because our future here is always a little up in the air, maybe it's early spring fever, maybe its because I have a few friends who are in the process of buying or selling a home, or maybe I need to just quit watching House Hunters. Whatever the reason, I've been thinking lately about our house and what it would take to sell it. I think living in an old home--a fixer upper, if you will, perhaps has more emotional strings attached when considering selling it. Like, how I would feel the need to write the listing--almost like to prove all the sweat equity that has gone into making this our home.

Here are the perks: Don't miss this charming three bedroom, one bathroom home, right in the heart of Lafayette. Close to everything--minutes from the mall, downtown, medical offices, restaurants and shopping. Walking distance to Columbian Park, Tropicanoe Cove, and Lafayette favorite, The Original Frozen Custard. Nine foot ceilings, hardwood floors, five panel doors with original hardware, and window tramsems help maintain an historic feel. Brand new maintenance free vinyl siding, new windows, completely remodeled kitchen with newer appliances, 6 year old high efficiency furnace and air conditioner, beautiful back porch and fenced yard with garden space. One and a half car garage. Basement. Bonus: second story attic space partially finished.

Sometimes it makes me want to stay forever.

But then I remember the cons: neighborhood not so great, really tiny backyard, crazy neighbor dogs on both sides that bark ALL. THE. TIME., close to everything, including car dealerships that I can hear who has a call on line 1 from my backyard, one bathroom, no fireplace, only three bedrooms, garage is really more like a glorified shed, laundry area is in the dark, scary basement. And my newest pet peeve: no 'landing space' at either door. I am convinced that the kitchen has no chance of ever staying clean because we live in it. It is the room you enter from the door we use the most with no place to drop your things except on the kitchen counter or table.

I know that we won't stay here forever, and I also know that there is no perfect place. But, I certainly like to dream about what could be. I am simultaneously excited about putting a gas fireplace in the attic and staying here for the next five years and the thought of finding a 4 bedroom two bathroom home on 5 acres where we could have chickens.

It's hard living inside my brain sometimes.

4 comments:

Anne said...

Well, I certainly know what you mean about having house on the brain!! I've got no emotionally attachments whatsoever to this apt, aside from the memories which I will take with me. So I'm enjoying dreaming up the perfect home!!

Annie said...

Please don't move! Please! Unless you're still really close to us and the Johnsons and maybe Laura...

Karla said...

I know what you mean! It is such a hard step to actually PUT it on the market. I am a little overwhelmed right now. It has to almost look like a model home! I have a feeling it will be a lot of work to HAVE it on the market too! :) Keeping a house spotless with three kids is going to be a challenge. You don't realize how much you have outgrown your home until you start decluttering it to sell. I am not even a packrat! :) It will be nice to be in a house that we know we will be in until the kids go to college. I have always known that this house was our "starter" home.

Michelle said...

Annie--you know the chances of us actually moving anytime soon are slim to none. Unless I get sucked in to Alaska or something crazy this summer!

Karla--I know it would be a full time job for me to try to keep my house picked up for showings. Good luck with that! At least Linnea isn't getting stuff out yet. I think Emily is the worst of my three because she drags stuff out and leaves it everywhere!