Friday, April 30, 2010

What is up with kids and cold hot dogs?

I guess they are "fully cooked," but EWWW. We bought a pack of super cheap chicken dogs for sneaking Carter's medicine into, but Elijah has taken a liking to them so whenever he gives the dog his meds in the morning he snitches a little for himself. Breakfast of Champions right there.
I have this distinct memory of my Grandma LaCombe chasing me around "the farm" as we called it because I had gotten ahold of a frozen hot dog. Mmmm, Delicioso!

I have discovered some things about us this week:
1. I am ready to stock up on some tasty ingredients for salads. Our mesculun mix and spinach are about a week away from being able to start harvesting. I'm thinking about this roasted pear and blue cheese salad that I really like. I've also been digging the spinach/strawberry salad for the last two weeks. It is so pretty. Some people do not like fruit in their salad. I am not that person.

2. We like fish. Not even the stick variety (although I will be honest, we do eat them!). I made a very tasty, but spicy, rub for frozen catfish for dinner tonight and it was really good. I also have been craving this maple soy glazed salmon that we sometimes make. Again, many thanks to Cooks Illustrated for allowing me to become a more adventurous eater.

Steering away from food:

3. Emily is not ready to sleep in a toddler bed. I hadn't really talked about it, but we took the rail off her crib last weekend and put up the toddler rail. The big issue was that the big rail was broken and I was getting worried about the safeness. Like the night I went into her room and she had taken the piece off the rail that holds it up and she had it in her mouth and was calling it her paci. But. After several L-O-N-G bedtimes this week I think I can safely say that we will wait until a later date to attempt this again. Like when I don't have to get her up at 6:45 am to start the day.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

My brother and I used to eat cold hot dogs as kids, too. I think it's more about the texture imho. Mmmmm. I can't remember when I had the last "hot" dog, though, but I'm totally craving. I was super disciplined while I was pregnant and just buried the Bon Appetit issue last summer that featured 80 hot dog variations from around the world.... might have to dig it back up!