Thursday, February 28, 2008

It's time to prepare

This year Orthodox Easter (Pascha), is much later than western Easter--like so late that we haven't even started Lent yet. Here's why. In any case, we are having our own sort of "fat Tuesday" of eating and celebrating this weekend--Brian and Megan's birthday party (Mexican fiesta), and Emily's baptism. There are no celebratory services allowed during periods of fasting (i.e. no weddings or baptisms.) We will begin fasting from dairy products on Monday and then the following Monday include abstaining from all meat products, oil, and alcohol until April 27th.

It is always a time of cleansing and renewal, drawing closer to God. I've started reading a book about the Orthodox veneration of Mary as I am preparing myself for Great Lent. I'll probably be sharing more about this as I process it. It's a short one, so I'll probably pick up something else once Lent gets going, although I'll be back to work soon--only 4 more weeks, and I have enough trouble finding time to read my Bible let alone other spiritual books, so we'll see.

In the mean time we are preparing a lot of our favorite meals this week: homemade pizza, biscuits and gravy, and chili. I washed and pressed the baptismal gown this morning. My grandma made it when Mary was baptized. It is beautiful! I hope that it will be used again someday.

2 comments:

Bob"O" said...

thanks Michelle for the item about the difference between east and west I read it all and it help a little my understanding of the difference.

Megan said...

Two things..
1. I didn't know there were no weddings or baptisms during lent... interesting
2. I very much like this whole wish list for your kids. I think it is a great idea! I might just start one for Jonathan. He is actually outgrowing many of his 3-6 mos, and after that it is slim pickin's!