Thursday, February 21, 2008

Many of you know that Brian has become kind of a chef around here. I still make most of the nightly meals, but if there is something special going on, he likes to whip up something tasty. Well, I am ready to give him a run for his money. His inspiration comes from a magazine called Cooks Illustrated, which I think is lovely, but the recipes take all day and require destroying the kitchen to make. He found me a sister magazine called, Cooks Country,which has some equally delicious things, without quite as many steps. Last night I made the most delicious beef stew I can ever remember--in the slow cooker. Granted, it wasn't quite like throwing all the ingredients in and turning it on. But, the 30 minutes of prep work was well worth the result. One key to this recipe: wrapping the vegetables in foil and placing them on top of the beef to steam (so they were not overcooked and soggy). Also, this recipe included parsnips, which I had not tasted before. They were fabulous!! I will be trying some more new things from this magazine.

1 comment:

Anne said...

charles loves pasnips!!