Friday, December 12, 2008

Do you think it is possible to change parts of your personality-- like how you react to certain situations? I am realizing lately how much I want to be a calm, steady person and not react emotionally to things. Two situations that happened yesterday:

1. I had a missed call from Elijah's school. All afternoon I worried and played out different scenarios in my mind about how he was in trouble, but then thought no, they would've left a message or called my work number. Turns out, his after school club got canceled.

2. After school (whilst I was picking up one son who didn't have science club) I got a call from my school. It was the secretary (who, by the way is about as calm and steady as they come) calling to ask me if I remembered how one of my students went home. He didn't get off the bus. So, I am now panicking. He, as it turned out, forgot to get off at his stop. But for that 15 minutes while I waited for her to call me back, I was again trying to talk myself down.

Two scenarios in a matter of 2 hours that had my heart racing. Can I operate differently?

2 comments:

Megan said...

hmmm... I am sure you could, but you might have to be super woman. Maybe the Elijah one, but it is hard not to be panicky about a missing student!

Anonymous said...

I think it is just your nature. I am that way too. I just had the experience of visiting a very sick friend in the hospital. The two other friends I went with just walked in the room and talked to her like she wasn't sick at all. It took me about five minutes to even enter the room. Then when I was in there, I could barely say a word. I am not the type of person who can put my emotions aside. I wish I could be different, but that is the way I am!!