Sunday, March 15, 2009




I haven't been taking many pictures lately. I feel bad about it. I guess just not bad enough to take more pictures. Elijah had his final game of basketball on Saturday. I brought the camera, but then left it in the car. It seemed like too much work to climb down out of the bleachers and walk all the way out of the building and down the street to get it. So, we were the lame parents not taking pictures of their kid getting his trophy. I did, however, take pictures of my newly cleaned and organized book shelves. We have our living room blocked off with the entertainment center so that Carter can only go in the kitchen and dining room for another week, so I've been spending a lot of time in there. In fact, I really haven't even been in the living room in a week.

We finally went to the doctor this weekend. Brian was about on his death bed. He's been sick for 3 weeks now. The doctor gave him a z-pack and some medicine with codeine, so we haven't seen a whole lot of him this weekend. Mary and Emily are on antibiotics too. I started playing in my garden yesterday. At least getting some of the existing space dirt turned over. We're planning to expand some, but I was too tired to dig up grass. It's a lot harder than dirt.

I'm sure that this is way more than you wanted to know about me, but I'm telling anyway. I was about out of deoderant. So when I was at Target last night I bought some Tom's of Maine all natural deo without antipersperant (you know the stuff that keeps you dry). I've heard a lot of the negative press about the aluminim in antipersperant and I just thought, hey, I'll give it a try. It got me thinking though about smells. I am certainly one of those people who has what I call a "sensitive sniffer". I can smell things a mile away good or bad. But, back to the body odor issue. At what point in history did people decide that it was socially unacceptable to have a natural body scent? Why do we cover up what our bodies naturally smell like? In fact, if you think about all the different products we buy to cover scent, it's probably a little excessive. For instance, I have a scent tree in my car, a glade plug in in my kitchen, Yankee candles in just about every room in the house. We use scented soap, shampoo, perfume, laundry soap, dryer sheets, etc.
I noticed as I was reading the back of my old deoderant bottle that was "unscented" that it actually had a masking fragrance listed in the ingredients. That just seems strange to me.

Brian has been going dog crazy. He discovered the Monks of New Skete. Orthodox monks who train dogs. They even have a show on Animal Planet. WOW! He is already planning our trip to visit this summer. Which brings me to summer. It seems like we have an awful lot to accomplish. Trip out west, siding on the house, trip out east, walks to the farmers market, work in our garden, relaxing around the house, working in our classrooms...

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I love Tom's of Maine deodorant! (and we use their toothpaste too) I was nervous about switching at first, but decided to give it a try and discovered that I'm not as sweaty as I thought I was and can wear it without antiperspirant for about 360 days a year... I keep a "regular" stick around the house in case of a special occasion or a particularly hot summer day when I don't wanna risk it, but really haven't needed to use it much. Granted, I work in a very climate-controlled room every day that leans toward the side of freezing, but hey... I'm glad I made the switch. ;)

Annie Hatke Schap said...

Hahaha, my mom's completely obsessed with the Monks of New Skete too! We have their book on our coffee table!