Monday, July 02, 2007

Highlights from our weekend north




First I should say that Northern Michigan is where I spent a good portion of my summers when I was growing up. It was a long drive from where I lived in middle Michigan and a drive that is really too far to venture with our small children from our home in Indiana. So, we have only been up one time since we've been married. We always refer to that one trip as our best vacation ever. So, you can imagine my feelings of pure enjoyment to spend 3 days walking around the towns and beaches I have loved my whole life long!!

We stayed at Fisherman's Island State Park in Charlevoix. It is a rustic camp ground--no flush toilets or showers. Thankfully we were able to visit some family staying near the area and use their shower twice!! It is one of the most beautiful campgrounds I have ever been to. It is on--and I mean on Lake Michigan. There are a number of sites right on the beach. We layed in our tent at night listening to the water crash on the beach.

On Friday we drove across the Mackinaw Bridge into the upper peninsula and took the ferry across to Mackinac Island. We walked around and ate and just kind of relaxed. The funniest part of this day was that Bob, Brian's dad was on a motorcycle trip and was in the same town so we had dinner with him in St. Ignace, MI.

On Saturday we walked around Charlevoix and shopped a bit, ate lunch at my favorite restaurant in town and then headed back to the campground. I took a book and a blanket and read the on the beach all afternoon and Brian rested in the tent. On Saturday night we drove over to visit my aunts and cousins who were renting a house just miles from where we stayed. We had dinner with them and watched the sunset before driving back to have our last campfire.

On Sunday we made breakfast and had devotions then cleared out our camp so we could start the 6 1/2 hour drive home. We stopped in Holland and had lunch with my parents on their boat and took the little motorized dingy raft across the lake to get ice cream before we headed home.
All-in-all maybe the best vacation we have had. Certainly the most appreciated.

2 comments:

Anne said...

That sounds like a fabulous vacation! I'm glad you guys were able to get away and enjoy yourselves!

Anonymous said...

Michelle...I feel more relaxed just reading about your relaxing vacation! I also vacationed around those parts as a kid and would love to go back! I'm so glad for you and Brian :)
Charis