Tuesday, April 22, 2008

4:47 a.m.

This is the time I left my bed this morning to drive to school and write sub plans. I was already awake (thankfully--ha ha) and nursing the baby when Elijah came in crying that his stomach hurt and had a headache. Yesterday was the last day of his antibiotic for strep. He is now back to sleep, so I guess I will assess the damage when he wakes up for the day. I am determined to not feel sorry for myself even though I am not getting any kind of regular sleep. Our neighbor passed away at his house on Saturday morning after battling cancer for the last 5 months. His poor wife is a wreck. She had been taking care of him and watching him waste away to nothing because he wouldn't eat and the cancer kept spreading. Brian and I went to his viewing last night. While I was looking up his obituary yesterday I found another one that broke my heart. A little girl, 5 days younger than Elijah, battled leukemia and died last week. Her dad is a teacher and baseball coach at Harrison. Brian knows him. How absolutely awful. So, I won't complain about having to get up every few hours at night. It won't be forever. At least we all have each other.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Even with just one kid (so far) I learned very quickly that motherhood (and parenthood in general I suppose) is full of more sacrifices and hard work than I could have ever imagined before. But it's the best and greatest work we can do!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you could use a friend, where's your husband? He sould be taking care of you.