Saturday, April 19, 2008

random musings on the grocery store and other rambling

First of all, tomorrow is Palm Sunday for us!! Hooray!! We will be very excited to complete Great and Holy Lent next week. Lots of services to look forward to and the best part this year is that Brian's sister, Laura, is being baptized and chrismated into the Orthodox faith!! Brian and I took a personal day on the Monday following Easter so that we can fully enjoy the LONG Saturday night Paschal services and celebrations and not worry on Sunday about trying to get rested to go back to work on Monday. We have learned from experience that this is probably a good idea.

This morning I went to the grocery store with the girls at 7 am. It was so much better than going in the middle of the day. Not crowded in the least. It was almost like going during the week. Sigh...Plus, I was home with a re-stocked kitchen by 8:30 am. Here is a question. We eat quite a bit of fruit. Especially in the winter, when fresh produce is expensive and not very delicious, we buy canned fruit. Why are the big cans of fruit only available in heavy syrup? I like that Del Monte now has fruit in 100% juice, but we go through the small cans quickly. It especially troubles me that the large cans are probably mostly consumed by kids in daycare or other group settings--don't they deserve fruit that isn't coated in sugar? Don't you think that I need something else to worry about??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always rinse off my fruit if it comes in a can. I am not sure if it helps with getting rid of the extra sugar...but it makes me feel like I am doing something.

Anne said...

Peter used to rinse his fruit, too! Now we stick to the 100% juice stuff as much as possible.

Melissa said...

I think the bottom line in this case is that at least you're getting your family to eat fruit... so many people blow it off as unnecessary, and until recently, I was one of them. The fact is, though, that any time fruits or vegetables go through any kind of processing, whether it's canning, freezing or cooking, they loose some nutrient value. In my training I've been taught that canning is usually the worst nutrient-draining process, followed by long cooking methods and microwaving. Eating raw or steamed fruits and vegetables allows you to get the most nutrients into your body. However, fruits and veggies ARE expensive when they're out of season, so eating canned and frozen is better than not at all. You can at least get some of the nutrient value out of them and I believe all or most of the fiber, which is great for fending off heart disease. You've made me curious, though, to seek out some credible sources on the matter... this is just what I've been trained to believe through school and work thus far, and so that's how I've honed our eating habits. I'll let you know if I come across anything really good!

Karla said...

That is the fruit in the can that we buy too. It is hard to always have fresh fruit on hand, so Nathan eats the canned fruit every once in awhile. At least down here, Kroger has the best selection for the Del Monte 100 percent juice fruit. It is hard to find anywhere else.