Wednesday, December 12, 2007

FREEDOM!!!!!!


Today was my first (okay, second- I snuck out yesterday) day of freedom. I drove myself out Christmas shopping this morning and took Emily for her 2 week check up. It made me feel like a normal person again to be out in public and I am finally getting some Christmas gifts bought.

Emily weighed 8 lbs. 10 oz. (not quite back to birth weight yet) and was still about the same length (21 in.). She is doing well. The nurse suggested trying to bump her feeding schedule to every 4 hours during the daytime. She said her experience has been that babies who breastfeed less frequently tend to nurse longer and get more of the protein-rich hind milk that keeps them satisfied longer and they end up sleeping longer at night. I haven't heard of this before, but it makes sense and I am willing to try it. She has been waking up almost every hour between 1-5 am for the last few nights. So, I'm still getting several hours of sleep, but not in big chunks.

In other news, Elijah went to see the giant Christmas tree at Purdue today on a field trip with his preschool class. He described it, "as tall as our house." He said the real Mrs. Claus was there--she was wearing a nametag. It was definitely the real Mrs. Claus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

www.kellymom.com has a lot of great tips and facts for breastfeeding... i'd maybe check out the every 4 hour thing on there. but it sounds like things are going great...

see you soon, i hope!
-darci