Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Adventures in Warren County

Today, after a high energy walk with my dear friend Annie, Brian and I (and Emily--it was the kids' day at the sitter) drove out to his school to do some cleaning. This was not totally by our choice as his principal called last week and asked him to come in. Brian almost literally has a wing in the school--2 classrooms with a large hallway between and another small room off to the side, all filled with stuff. Stuff from previous teachers that has accumulated over the years. They are taking one of the classrooms and turning it into a math computer lab so Brian needed to get any stuff that he wanted to keep out of that particular room. There. is. a. lot. of. stuff. We only spent a few hours, but I feel like we at least made a dent in it. I think it will be good for him to have less classroom areas because the stuff gets so spread out and it's not organized. So, we will be going back to do more organizing and weeding out, but all that is actually not the story I wanted to share. So, here goes...

Brian's place of employment is about an hour from our house. Literally when we got out of the car at school, Brain says, "Oh, I forgot my wallet. Did you bring your purse?" Hmmm...nope, I didn't. I was rushing out the door and since I wasn't driving I left it. So we said, darn we would've liked to get some lunch while we were out, and then went into school and started working. It wasn't until we got back into the car and turned it on that we realized that the gas tank was almost empty and we did not have any money. We started driving home and I was nonchalantly like, "oh, we'll make it. It'll be fine." (Me, who makes the drive all the time! : )) Brian was less convinced. Then he remembered that he had a couple of $50.00 checks from school that we could cash--except that we had no driver's license or anything. We went to the bank in Attica where we were shot down. We were practically begging. We don't have enough gas to get back to Lafayette (and we get no cell phone reception out there.) No dice. So we tried the IGA (that's a small independent grocery store for those of you who don't know). We were hoping there might be a Seeger student working that could id Brian. So, I am sitting in the parking lot with the sleeping baby rummaging around the car for something, anything to help us. What do I find tucked down between the seats? Brian's passport!! Yes!!! A photo id!!! So, I grabbed the baby (who was actually awake) and took it in to him. We got a check cashed, picked up some chicken fingers from the deli, hit the gas station and then we were on our way. What an adventure!

1 comment:

Megan said...

What an adventure. God is very creative sometimes! By the way, what in the world was Brian's passport doing in his truck?!?!?!?