Thursday, June 12, 2008

nature vs. nurture

I am sure in reality it is more of nature and nurture that makes us who we are, but I am continually amazed at how different my children can be. For example, today I took Mary to get her hair cut. She sat quietly (in fact, silently I think) and still while the lady cut her hair. She didn't scream when she brushed the tangles out (like she does for me) and she just watched in the mirror. I went over and sat in a chair with Emily and relaxed for 15 minutes. Now lets contrast that with Elijah's hair cutting experiences. I think up until a year ago when he started going to the barber with daddy we had to go to a new place every time because it was so traumatizing for the stylist! He would scream and pull and thrash around. We tried scissors, we tried clippers, we even did it at home a few times--it took almost an hour! We tried suckers, tv, distraction toys...nothing seemed to work to keep him still. He does much better now that he is a bit older, but how does that happen? How can they be so different?

2 comments:

Karla said...

Up until 6 months ago, Nathan would scream too while he got his hair cut! After every haircut, I would be red-faced and sweating. :) So, I finally bought clippers and started cutting his hair. It was still a scream fest at home, but at least I wasn't embarrassed. He got his haircut with Carson a few months ago and loved it. Now he BEGS to go get his hair cut and he doesn't want me to cut it anymore. :) I told him that I am going to cut it most of the time, but I will let him go get it cut every once in awhile.

melissa said...

That sounds strangely familiar - Ben loves it, and Evan will probably be the boy in school with long hair. Isn't that crazy?