Friday, June 06, 2008

The best laid plans

Subtitled: A disappointing turn of events

The SmallTown Heroes are playing at an Orthodox music festival in Bloomington this weekend. Originally we planned on taking all three of our kids and camping. As the weekend got closer we thought it might be better for us to have Elijah and Mary go to grandma and papa's for the weekend. Then on Thursday Mary started running a high fever and had sore throat. This morning I took her to the doctor so we could head off anything serious and I could still hopefully go. But the strep test was negative and that means this is a virus that will have to run it's course. I just couldn't, in good conscience, leave a sick girl while I went off to have fun. At least if it was bacterial we could've started antibiotic today and she would have been feeling better tomorrow. So today Brian packed up his things and drove with Dallas and Bethany down to Bloomington. I think he was the most disappointed of all. Since Emily has been born I just don't make it to many shows. He was so excited about me being there. I was excited about taking a book to read, watching Emily play quietly on a blanket, carrying her around in the Maya wrap and talking with people. Darn. This is one of the hardest parts about being a parent.

1 comment:

Megan said...

So on a much MUCH smaller scale, Everette and I had one of those moments. We were really really looking forward to going to Mt Fuji's. The kind of day when that is the ONLY thing that sounds good to you. After we left your house things sort of went downhill with Jonathan. HE never really went to sleep and he was crabby all evening. So we had that dreaded conversation, "what are we going to do about dinner?" WE knew there was no way Jonathan would/could sit through a long dinner at Mt Fuji's nor would we really want to sit through it with him. So after several squelched suggestions by both parties, I trudged downstairs to figure something out. WE ended up on a sort of "mock" mandarin chicken salad Wendy's style. It was ok, but it was no mt Fuji's. I hope Mary gets better and you guys can have some fun tomorrow!